plonkee money

November 19, 2009

advertising sells. unfortunately

Filed under: shopping — Tags: , — plonkee @ 11:32 pm

I wonder whether I’m the only person who is not really interested in shopping for gifts this year.

It’s not really that I don’t want to give gifts to my friends and family, I really enjoy getting them stuff – thinking about what they might like and wrapping and so on. It’s just that for the last 5-6 months, I’ve very rarely been proper shopping (as opposed to food shopping). When I went browsing in the shops the other day after work, I found the whole experience overwhelming. There were too many people, and brightly coloured shout-y posters telling me about all the money I could save if I just spent my money in their shop.

my accidental advertising diet

I think I’ve inadvertently been on an advertising diet. I don’t watch a great deal of tv, and much of it is BBC, so ad free. And I have relative online advertising blindness. Most of the posters I pass on my way to work are either public service or for products I’m really not interested in, like car insurance (I don’t own a car).

This accidental advertising diet meant that when I was surrounded by lots and lots of ads, I had a bit of sensory overload. It was like the whole town was shouting ‘buy me, buy me, I’m a nice bright shiny bauble’.

still left me wanting to buy stuff based on ads

But, even though the ads in the stores in town overwhelmed me, they also made me feel like I wanted to buy things. I’m not sure exactly what things, but I definitely wanted to buy.

Fortunately, for Christmas shopping I need have to a list and buy for difficult people (aka men). So I didn’t actually get sucked in to buying things I didn’t need.

so I’m back to avoiding ads

I’m going to try and keep up this advertising diet, now that I’ve noticed it though. I don’t need to spend money on things that I don’t need, or want. I’m supposed to be a grown up these days, and I want to save my money for fun stuff that I actually do want, as well as slightly less fun stuff that I need.

Similar Posts:

If you like what you're reading, why not leave a comment below, subscribe to my feed, or check out some of my best posts.

17 comments on “advertising sells. unfortunately

1. HOTTERDVDAU on said:

Buy the latest season of for free home delivery.

2. VideoTutorialHD on said:

yes sells, but not as much as one would like.

3. insurance companies perth on said:

If a patient is unlucky enough for his blood clots to reach an artery in the brain, he will suffer a stroke. All the above mentioned conditions, in case they do not cause the death of a patient, will probably result in permanent disabilities.

4. insurance companies perth on said:

If women from these groups are already taking Yaz, they should be extremely careful regarding potential symptoms of excessive blood clotting. Possible symptoms are the followings: sudden deterioration of vision, sudden weakness of the arms or legs, difficulty speaking or understanding speech, a squeezing pain

5. on said:

This can be accomplished through a variety of ways. One is by registering their business mapping applications like Google Maps.

6. kelly on said:

If you have interests on car diagnostic tools, here recommend some hot ones such as elm327 and launch x431 diagun from

7. clipping path on said:

Clipping Path Source (CPS) is an exceptional group of really-accomplished & completely experienced focused Graphic-Designers & they are very well-known to Clipping Path & Photo Masking in addition who have very outstanding material knowledge & ability into these area of many years. During all these motivated & devoted specialist persons CPS proposes mainly excellent service through Web-Based outsource correct into your position of work all around the world and we offer 24/7/365 best customer-support in USA, Canada, UK and Europe at a very reasonable cost.

8. Web Development India on said:

Thanks for such an informative post.

9. suadiye pilates on said:

Suadiye Pilates
    Suadiye Pilates

10. suadiye pilates on said:

11. kavitha on said:

CPA Training in India, Dubai, USA, UK, Canada, South Africa, UAE@ +918008000311 ,UAE +97150394059
    A CPA is a trusted financial advisor who helps individuals, businesses, and other organizations plan and reach their financial goals All CPAs are accountants, but not all accountants are CPAs.
    How to become CPA?
    3 E’s are required for licensure:
    Exam or Uniform CPA Examination
    State Boards of Accountancy determine the laws and rules for each state/jurisdiction
    Requirements vary by state/jurisdiction (see state requirements)
    Most states now require 120-150 semester hours
    Number of accounting hours (in the 150 total) is dependent on state requirements
    Uniform CPA Examination
    Computer-based format
    Consists of 4 sections
    Auditing and Attestation (AUD)
    Business Environment and Concepts (BEC)
    Financial Accounting and Reporting (FAR)
    Regulation (REG)
    Same test no matter where it is taken
    Passing score is 75 on a 0-99 scale
    Question types include multiple choice, simulation and written communication
    Eligibility to sit for exam depends on stat
    Examination Center
    Prometric centers in UAE, Kuwait, Bahrain, Lebanon, Japan & Brazil subject to conditions.
    Exam Format
    Subjects New CBTe
    Ex M T
    Paper 1 : Auditing & Attestation 4 3 1
    Paper 2 : Financial Accounting & Reporting 4 3 1
    Paper 3 : Regulation (Law & Tax) 3 3 1
    Paper 4 : Business Environment & Concepts 3 3
    MCQ – Multiple Choice Questions
    TBS – Task Based Simulation
    WCT – Written Communication Task
    A candidate is an applicant for a CPA license
    Many states require the candidate to have 1 – 2 years’ experience under a CPA
    Additional requirements vary by the candidate’s
    Education – e.g., Graduate degree vs. 150 hours of undergraduate
    Employer(s) – e.g., Public accounting firm vs. industry
    Type of work – e.g., Tax professional vs. auditor
    CPA Training in India, CPA Training in Dubai, CPA Training in UK, CPA Training in UAE, CPA Training in USA, CPA Training in SouthAfrica, CPA Training in Canada

12. thanks on said:

I think this is my first visit, I hope to learn a lot from this site.

13. kavitha on said:

A content gateway is a script you get from certain CPA networks that blocks a visitor from entering your web page unless they fill out a form. When a person fills out the information the page is then released and the viewer can proceed to that page. It could be something like a survey, email lead or zip code or what ever. Once they do you GET PAID a few bucks as an affiliate. Now you might think why in the world would I want to do that to my visitors? You might think that this would send your guests packing fast and it could if you do this all wrong. CPA Training What you must understand is that a content gateway CPA is not something you want to just do on your home page. You use it when you are offering some more important content or a free download to a book or software or to keep a free membership site free. That way you can earn some cash while your visitors can get access for nothing. Just make sure you own the content or have the rights to show the material to others.

14. Akash Sharma on said:

Thanks for post this helpful post – Please visit for More information about -
    Packers and Movers in Chennai @
    Packers and Movers in Hyderabad @
    Packers and Movers in Pune @
    Packers and Movers in Mumbai @
    Packers and Movers India @

15. Akash Sharma on said:

This article is really fantastic and thanks for sharing the valuable post.
    Packers and Movers in Gurgaon @
    Packers and Movers in Delhi @
    Packers and Movers in Bangalore @

16. Akash Sharma on said:

Thanks for all your information, Website is very nice and informative content.
    Packers and Movers in Faridabad @