This is part of the m-network’s day of posts on our best and worst financial decisions. Both my best and worst decisions are related to pensions.
I started pension (retirement) fund contributions as soon as I started work and I’ve consistently invested them in index funds.
Why is this my best decision?
- Starting earlier is always better than starting later.
- The company I work for contributes double whatever I contribute up to a certain limit.
- Index funds match my keep it simple and average philosophy.
- I now stand a fighting chance of not being desitute in my old age.
- I’ve never had the money, so I don’t miss it.
I invested my non-work related pension (retirement) funds in the Virgin Money Stakeholder Pension.
Why is this my worst decision?
- They charge a 1% fee, whilst the best provider of index funds in a pension following the same index charges 0.3%
- I don’t have enough money invested to transfer out of this fund
- I didn’t shop around before investing, I was sold on the advertising
- Its difficult to get a valuation from Virgin, for some reason their system won’t let me register for online access.
I know this isn’t a really bad decision. That’s because most of my financial errors, haven’t been decisions but simply forgetting things, like:
- how close I am to my overdraft limit
- when the due date is on the credit card
- getting work expenses reimbursed
- cancelling subscriptions I no longer need
Really, I’m lazy and I procrastinate. I’m not a great decider – most of my decisions are in the ok to good range, but my non-decisions are pretty terrible.
Check out the rest of the m-networks best and worst decisions:
- 6 financial decisions – don’t learn the hard way @ gather little by little
- my best and worst financial decisions @ moolanomy
- best and worst financial decisions: from the trenches @ i’ve paid for this twice already
- my best and worst financial decisions: they might surprise you @ being frugal
- my best and worst financial decisions @ christian finance
- my best and worst financial decisions @ the dough roller
- one good financial decision and a whole lotta bad ones @ debt-free revolution
- my financial decisions, the good and the bad @ single guy money
Similar Posts:subscribe to my feed, or check out some of my best posts.