plonkee money

October 5, 2009

are you spending less for no particular reason?

Filed under: philosophical — Tags: , , — plonkee @ 7:05 pm

Really, my life hasn’t been materially affected by this credit crunch / recession / whatever so far. I’ve got a new job, but that was because I made a career shift. My house is worth more than I owe on it (probably) but my mortgage is only 21% of my take home pay, so I’m not struggling to make the payments. I have as much money (if not more) in savings as I did this time two years ago. My investments are down, but I’m in it for the long haul, so that has no real impact.

And yet, I feel like I’m matching the overall mood. I’m not so inclined to go out drinking, I haven’t eaten out nearly as frequently as I used to, I haven’t been to the cinema in months, and I am much less interested in international travel than I would normally be.

Some of this is because I feel the need to improve my house (to both increase it’s value and to improve it’s functionality as a home). I’m saving up for things like new bathrooms and boring fixes to the fabric of the place. I’m also trying to bump up my emergency fund – I never seem to get past the mythical £6k figure. (Around 4-6 months expenses depending on how frugal I could be.) And some of this might just be me settling down a bit as I approach my 30th birthday.

I’m thinking that on a personal note, it’s not so much of a bad thing if I’m spending less and saving (and investing) more. For the economy, as a whole, it’s not so brilliant – although the investing is good – but we’re in a bit of a prisoners’ dilemma. In any case, I’m not really cutting back deliberately, I’m cutting back because intuitively it feels the comfortable thing to do, and I can’t think of a logical or objective reason to spend more.

Is anyone else spending less in the recession for no particular reason? Or have you felt the effects more directly and are adapting? I guess it’s sort of consumer sentiment thing, but there must be a name for this sort of phenomenon. Let me know what you think in the comments.

Similar Posts:

If you like what you're reading, why not leave a comment below, subscribe to my feed, or check out some of my best posts.

6 comments on “are you spending less for no particular reason?

1. easy and quick cash advance on said:

This site can be quite helpful in addition to enjoyment to learn to read. We appreciated what you have done below. We loved just about every small bit section of the idea. My business is always looking for helpful facts like this.

2. easy and quick cash advance on said:

Exceptional content, I seriously loved with it, This is okay to read and useful master likely, I seriously take a note of the idea, master broaden study. Appreciation master sharing. I prefer the idea
    Business Cash Advance

3. Tales From The Crypt Seasons 1-7 DVD on said:

Get the most popular new series and TV shows on http://www.520dvd.co.uk/goods-2367-Tales+From+The+Crypt+Seasons+1-7+DVD+Boxset.html Tales From The Crypt Seasons 1-7 DVD online at audvdsbuy with free delivery.

4. insurance companies perth on said:

Nonetheless creative individuals typically do something and pursuing it with bigger vigor than the rest of us, as they’re doing it for themselves and in doing thus are more fulfilled than the remainder of us. That would seem to be a sensible means to live.

5. insurance companies perth on said:

Those famous artists in our past periods whether or not it sculpture, painting or symphony are always referred to as good or geniuses, but never just smart.

6. clipping path on said:

Clipping Path Source (CPS) is an exceptional group of really-accomplished & completely experienced focused Graphic-Designers & they are very well-known to Clipping Path & Photo Masking in addition who have very outstanding material knowledge & ability into these area of many years. During all these motivated & devoted specialist persons CPS proposes mainly excellent service through Web-Based outsource correct into your position of work all around the world and we offer 24/7/365 best customer-support in USA, Canada, UK and Europe at a very reasonable cost.