plonkee money

March 26, 2008

my top 5 excuses for paying too much for clothes

Filed under: shopping — Tags: , , — plonkee @ 12:00 pm

window shoppingI often feel that as a personal finance blogger, I should be more frugal in my purchasing. Although I don’t throw money away exactly, I’m also not a follower of some of the most basic “being frugal” advice that there is. This is particularly true of clothes.

I usually pay full price for my clothes from regular high street shops.

A real frugal person would buy there clothes second-hand, or at massive discount in the sales. Whilst I don’t spend much money compared to many of my peers, compared to the rest of the personal finance crowd, I’m afraid I’d be considered a spend thrift. Here are my top 5 excuses.

excuse 1: a deprived childhood

When I was a kid, up until about the age of 16, apart from my (revolting brown, beige and gold) school uniform nearly all the clothes I had were hand me downs. When it was dress down day at school I was always very careful to be wearing the nicest of the clothes that I had.

Although I don’t resent this, I did always want new *shop-bought* clothes. I still do. I know that this isn’t really a deprived childhood, but this is one of my biggest excuses for not buying from second-hand clothes shops. I feel that I deserve better.

excuse 2: I’m a funny shape

People that have met me will confirm that I am not an average shape person. I’m 5 foot nothing, and a UK size 14 (US size 10?). This means that I am too short for regular women’s clothes. In fact, I’m actually too short for regular short people’s clothes (more commonly known as the petite section).

I am the perfect height for age 12 children’s clothes. Sadly (since kid’s clothes are cheaper) I’m far from the perfect build for that. In practice this means that it’s quite hard for me to find clothes that fit reasonably well – I’m usually in petite clothes that I’ve hemmed myself for work. When it’s hard to find clothes that fit, you are basically stuck buying them even if they aren’t that frugal.

excuse 3: I’m picky

I don’t wear brown. (See above mention of school uniform for reasons why.) I also don’t wear double breasted coats, or pencil skirts, or shirts. Basically, I’m a fussy dresser and I’m not willing to think too far outside the box. I know what suits me and I stick to it. This does mean that I don’t actually buy that many clothes, but on the other hand, it’s another reason why I end up paying full price for everything. When you’re picky, there’s less choice.

excuse 4: I don’t like busy shops

A great time to get the same clothing for less, is in the sales. Unfortunately, I hate shopping in the sales. I hate it being busy, everything takes twice as long, and the queues for the changing rooms are enormous. It gives me so little pleasure, that I’ve almost stopped going to the sales completely. When I do go, it’s generally at the tail end. It’s quieter, but not much is left.

excuse 5: I can afford to

I don’t need to pay tiny amounts for clothes. I have no kids and a reasonably well paying job. Unlike when I was a student – and it didn’t matter – I can actually afford to pay full price for clothes, as long as I don’t buy too much. They say that necessity is the mother of invention, and with no necessity, and not a great deal of innate fashion sense, my frugal invention skills are under developed.

What do you think of my excuses? Should I try harder? Do you have any (justified or otherwise) excuses yourself for your own non-frugality? Let me know in the comments.

Image by mell242

Similar Posts:

If you like what you're reading, why not leave a comment below, subscribe to my feed, or check out some of my best posts.

44 comments on “my top 5 excuses for paying too much for clothes

1. Adapt Software on said:

Running windows applications on Android, Running windows applications on I pad &
    SAP on cloud by Adapt Software India.
    AshishKamotra, Chief Executive Officer, Running windows applications on Android, Running windows applications on I pad by Software India Pvt. Ltd., India Soft-2012, HICC, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh. Adapt specializes in SAP on cloud Microsoft Dynamics CRM, Sage CRM, Microsoft .Net, MS SQL & Power Builder.

SAP on cloud
    Running windows applications on iPad
    Running windows applications on Android
    Go-Global
    Remote access software

2. Adapt Software on said:

What is SharePoint, Microsoft Sharepoint 2013,and Microsoft Sharepoint 2010, Sharepoint Consulting.

Best Case Studies of Document Management System implementations by Adapt India Software Private Limited,
    Document Management Solution on Microsoft SharePoint to automate your business processes and facilitate exchange of documents and information internallyand with your Sub Contractors with pre- defined workflows triggered with approvals, authorizations ,co-authorizations and authentications.

Document Management Solution

Sharepoint
    Sharepoint 2013
    Document Management
    Sharepoint Server
    Sharepoint Consulting
    Sharepoint Designer
    Sharepoint 2010
    Sharepoint services
    Sharepoint site
    Sharepoint devloper

3. VOLPE on said:

Local internet marketing & Business Consulting
    The Volpé Consortium, Inc. is an independent business consulting and project management firm specializing in the areas of Business Operations, Project Management, Technology Solutions, and Training. Since our founding, our mission has been to partner with clients to integrate conflict-free consulting and deep subject matter expertise for senior management, resulting in sustainable solutions to complex business challenges.Our services have been proven to drive success across multiple industries and business disciplines. Please use the menu system on this web site to navigate our services portfolio.

local internet marketing
    internet marketing blog

4. Nick Bathla, owner of YO! Creations, began as a search engine optimizer, digital marketing consultant quickly discovered he had a sixth sense for marketing. Nick decided to launch his own company.

SearchEngineOptimization

6. VOLPE on said:

Local internet marketing & Business Consulting

local internet marketing
    internet marketing blog

7. Adapt Software on said:

————————————————————————————–
    SAP on cloud by Adapt Software India.

SAP on cloud
    Running windows applications on iPad
    Running windows applications on Android
    Go-Global
    Remote access software

8. Volpe Communication on said:

Local internet marketing & Business Consulting

local internet marketing
    internet marketing blog

9. Adapt Software on said:

SAP on cloud and Running windows applications on iPad Specialist.
    AshishKamotra, Chief Executive Officer, Running windows applications on Android, SAP on cloud, running windows applications on Ipad by Software India Pvt. Ltd., India Soft-2012, HICC, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh.
    SAP on cloud
    Running windows applications on iPad
    Running windows applications on Android
    Go-Global
    Remote access software

10. Adapt Software on said:

SAP on cloud and Running windows applications on iPad Specialist.Adapttttttttttttttttttttttt
    SAP on cloud
    Running windows applications on iPad
    Running windows applications on Android
    Go-Global
    Remote access software

11. Local internet marketing & Business Consulting

12. VOLPE on said:

Local internet marketing & Business Consulting

13. VOLPE on said:

Local internet marketing & Business Consulting

14. VOLPE on said:

Local internet marketing & Business Consulting

15. Adapt Software on said:

Running windows applications on iPad Specialist.
    SAP on cloud
    Running windows applications on iPad
    Running windows applications on Android
    Go-Global
    Remote access software

16. VOLPE on said:

Local internet marketing & Business Consulting

17. Adapt Software on said:

18. Adapt Software on said:

Document Management Solution

19. Auto Ghana on said:

Autos Ghana Limited buy all your new cars and used cars, heavy constructional equipment’s including auto parts from USA whiles you pay in Ghana or worldwide under secured and legitimate processes. You can also rely on tracking your vehicle with real time GPS tracker with Autos Ghana tracking services. Shipping your vehicle from any city or state in the USA will also be done for you with accurate booking and the provision of both estimated time of sailing and delivery. Autos Ghana Limited also helps with all your auction car rentals purchases including registrations and shipping. For car rentals look no further as we search and provide you with luxury being for your own personal use or for businesses on vacation.
    car rentals
    gps trackers
    used cars
    auto parts
    car shipping
    auction cars

20. Adapt Software on said:

Running windows applications on Android,Running windows applications onI pad&
    SAP on cloudby Adapt Software India.

21. Adapt Software on said:

Running windows applications on Android,Running windows applications onI pad&
    SAP on cloudby Adapt Software India.
    AshishKamotra, Chief Executive Officer, Running windows applications on Android,Running windows applications onI pad by Software India Pvt. Ltd., India Soft-2012, HICC, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh. Adapt specializes in SAP on cloud Microsoft Dynamics CRM, Sage CRM, Microsoft .Net, MS SQL & Power Builder.
    Go-Global
    Remote access software
    Running windows applications on ipad
    SAP on cloud
    Running windows applications on android
    Tally on cloud
    Navision on cloud
    web enabling software in india

22. Adapt Software on said:

Running windows applications on Android,Running windows applications onI pad&
    SAP on cloudby Adapt Software India.

23. Auto yocreations52 on said:

24. Auto yocreations52 on said:

25. Adapt Software on said:

Go-Global , Running windows applications on Android, Running windows applications on I pad.
    SAP on cloud by Adapt Software India. Ashish Kamotra, Chief Executive Officer, Running windows applications on Android, Running windows applications on Ipad by Software India Pvt. Ltd., India Soft-2012, HICC, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh. Adapt specializes in SAP on cloud Microsoft Dynamics CRM, Sage CRM, Microsoft .Net, MS SQL & Power Builder.

26. Volpe comm on said:

Local internet marketing & internet marketing blog
    The Volpé Consortium, Inc. is an independent business consulting and project management firm specializing in the areas of Business Operations, Project Management, Technology Solutions, and Training. Since our founding, our mission has been to partner with clients to integrate conflict-free consulting and deep subject matter expertise for senior management, resulting in sustainable solutions to complex business challenges. Local internet marketing & internet marketing blog.

27. Volpe comm on said:

Local internet marketing & internet marketing blog

28. Adapt software on said:

SAP on cloud by Adapt Software India.

SAP on cloud
    Running windows applications on iPad
    Go-Global
    Remote access software
    Running windows applications on android

29. ADAPT SOFTWARE on said:

Document Management Solution on Microsoft SharePoint to automate your business processes and facilitate exchange of documents and information internally and with your Sub Contractors with pre- defined workflows triggered with approvals, authorizations ,co-authorizations and authentications.

30. Nick Bathla on said:

Sharepoint 2010
    Sharepoint services
    Sharepoint site
    Sharepoint developer

34. Sharepoint on said:

35. clipping path on said:

Clipping Path Source (CPS) is an exceptional group of really-accomplished & completely experienced focused Graphic-Designers & they are very well-known to Clipping Path & Photo Masking in addition who have very outstanding material knowledge & ability into these area of many years. During all these motivated & devoted specialist persons CPS proposes mainly excellent service through Web-Based outsource correct into your position of work all around the world and we offer 24/7/365 best customer-support in USA, Canada, UK and Europe at a very reasonable cost.

clipping path

36. True_Face on said:

True Face is a registered brand in UK for fashion clothing & accessories, we provides latest fashion styles & trends for men’s, women’s & kids high fashion clothing which includes denim jeans, chinos, trousers, casual shirts, cardigans, Maxi, dresses, Funny tees, Polo T-shirts, boxers, shorts, onesies, tracksuits, hoodies, hooded tops, jackets, Gilet, body warmers, Vest, leggings, thermal socks, long johns, footwear, shoes, trainers, belts, wallets, clocks, gift items. We also sell international brands like Crosshatch, Xplicit, Kangol, Soul Star, Raw Craft, Rock & Revival, Smith & Jones, Santa Monica Polo Club, True Face, Gaffer, Mian, Mode Mille, Brave Soul, Tokyo Laundry and many more.

Men’s, Women’s & Kids Fashion Clothing
    body warmers, leggings, thermal socks
    Denim Jeans Trousers belts wallets
    casual shirts, cardigans, Funny tees, Polo T-shirts
    Shorts Boxers Onesies Dungarees Maxi Dresses
    Playsuits long johns Hoodies Vests
    Jackets, Gilet, Tops, Bottoms, tracksuits
    footwear, shoes, trainers, Hi Tops, gift items
    Crosshatch, Xplicit, Kangol, Soul Star, Tokyo Laundry
    Raw Craft, Rock & Revival, Smith & Jones, Santa Monica

37. Sharepoint Server on said:

SharePoint Online delivers the powerful features of SharePoint without the associated overhead of managing the infrastructure on your own. Flexible management options ensure that you still retain the control you need to meet the compliance requirements of your organization. You can purchase SharePoint in the cloud as a standalone offering or as part of an Office 365 suite where you could also get access to Exchange, Lync, the Office clients and web apps.
    Sharepoint developer
    Sharepoint site
    Sharepoint services
    Sharepoint Designer
    Sharepoint Consulting
    Sharepoint Server

38. ohnpwmidrm on said:

xpczkqmpolff, mrkexriqev , [url=http://www.hyxzfglihn.com/]dhjpwcnlsa[/url], http://www.hmrvhqlvin.com/ mrkexriqev

39. mqxvnrtnbt on said:

zzylvqmpolff, vcmspughwk , [url=http://www.ovbbzuvvif.com/]ppzconxpjg[/url], http://www.duuvsrhvjf.com/ vcmspughwk

40. aupfgzztki on said:

sgzefqmpolff, enlewccibu

41. drowxwxqds on said:

jqoznqmpolff, vkfkgwepsr

42. smmobfcdrk on said:

idyffqmpolff, http://www.svfkizuetn.com/ hjcvrtihpi

43. Women Clothing on said:

True Face is a registered brand in UK for fashion clothing & accessories
    we provides latest fashion styles & trends for men’s, women’s & kids fashion clothing which includes denim jeans, trousers, casual shirts, t-shirts, boxers, shorts, onesies, tracksuits, footwear, belts, wallets, clocks, gift items, etc. We also sell international Brands like Crosshatch, Xplicit, Kangol, Soul Star, Raw Craft, Rock & Revival, Smith & Jones, Santa Monica, True Face, Gaffer, Mode Mille, Brave Soul and many more.

Women Clothing